Our educators are versatile in their backgrounds and teaching styles. Also, in addition to our regular instructors, many guest speakers from the fitness, health and business industries facilitate specialty topics in our classrooms.
Julie’s background is in business, facilitation, and education. She is passionate about merging the gap between academics and industry, where that learning is to eventually be utilized. Her goal is to develop a platform that will not only provide education in an engaging and accessible way, but also for that education to meet the demands of employers.
Julie has been part of the founding team at Elevated Learning Academy and has been involved with all aspects of its operations, from curriculum development to facilities management. It is her goal to ensure that ELA’s students receive an engaging, relevant and quality education, and that coming to class is the best part of their day.
- SFU Bachelor of Business Administration – Human Resources
- MRU Adult Educator Certificate of Completion
OFFICE AND ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT, CALGARY
We’ll have more info posted about Carey very soon. Stay tuned.
STUDENT AND INDUSTRY RELATIONS COORDINATOR, CALGARY
We’ll have more info posted about Floyd very soon. Stay tuned.
OPERATIONS MANAGER (EDMONTON & CALGARY)
Azal is a huge movie-lover and our resident film buff at ELA. This passion for cinema from a very early age fuelled the need to grow his knowledge in videography and directing. Thus, he utilized his unique talent and skills to develop ELA’s comprehensive video-lectures for the Applied Nutrition Science diploma and continues to make short films on the weekend.
In conjunction with leading several on-going media projects throughout the year for ELA, Azal is also equipped with a Bachelor of Commerce degree attained in 2013 from Grant MacEwan University.With his major being in Organizational Management, he possesses the necessary skill set to effectively function as our Operations Manager for both Edmonton and Calgary campuses.
Azal can also be found on the web via his Twitter (@AzalAbedi) or Facebook building connections with people discussing OR working in his fields of film, art, technology and business.
- Bachelor of Commerce – Grant MacEwan University
Student and industry relations coordinator, EDMONTON
Kari graduated in 2012 from Medicine Hat College with a Marketing Diploma. She is originally from Medicine Hat and moved to Edmonton in 2014 after living in Australia and exploring Southeast Asia. Kari leads an active lifestyle and loves spending time and exercising outdoors whenever possible. In her spare time, Kari enjoys cooking, traveling, reading and going to concerts. Kari has over 10 years of experience working in customer service, including radio advertising sales and promotion, and working in the service industry. She is excited to be part of Elevated Learning Academy where she helps students develop their passion and prepare for their future in the fitness and nutrition industry.
- Marketing Diploma – Medicine Hat College
Rachel Joy Olsen
Rachel has a passion for helping people gain better health and wellness and has worked in the health and fitness industry for over 15 years as a kinesiologist, Personal Trainer, exercise and weight management specialist, spin instructor, health coach, chronic disease management specialist and nutrition practitioner. Along with her fitness and health coaching practice Rachel is pursing her love of writing and has released three books, with more to come, to help readers achieve optimal health and wellness. Rachel believes that taking care of and developing a healthy relationship between the mind, body and soul is the key to health and happiness.
- Master’s in Business Administration, University of Phoenix
- Bachelor of Science, Major: Mind Sciences in Kinesiology, University of Calgary
- Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Weight Management Specialist (ACE)
- Exercise is Medicine® Credential Level III, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Personal Trainer Certification, American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- Holistic Life Coach, Spencer Institute
- Health Care Provider CPR & AED Certification, Rescue 7
- Raw Food Chef, Raw Food Network
- Raw Food Nutrition Specialist, Raw Food Network
- Raw Food Personal Trainer, Raw Food Network
- Raw Food Lifestyle Coach, Raw Food Network
Lead Instructor (Edmonton)
Chris Dewhirst has been in the personal training industry for over 3 years. Growing up he was very heavily involved in athletics and continued into his college days. During his college experience, Chris grew very passionate about learning how the body works and how to help improve its performance. In his last year of completing his Physical Education Degree, Chris started personal training and has been doing so ever since. Shortly after his degree, he obtained his CSCS through the NSCA and is always investing time in continuing his education.
- BPE, University of Alberta
Tania has worked in the health and fitness industry for over 15 years as a Personal Trainer, Educator, Manager, and a Group Exercise Instructor. Her path now has her working with a number of different Exercise and Chronic Condition Research Trials, including trials studying the impact of exercise on Type One and Type Two Diabetes, Breast Cancer and Colon Cancer. She is extremely excited to be working in the field of Personal Training as she truly believes that exercise and healthy living are the foundations of disease prevention and health management.Tania believes that challenging self-imposed limitations and stepping out of one’s comfort zone is the key to learning, growth and development; and that most of all, having fun is the key to committing to exercise over a lifetime.
- Bachelor of Arts – Psychology; Concentration in Motivational Studies
- Fitness and Nutrition Program Diploma
- Personal Trainer Certification – American Council on Exercise
- Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification – American Council on Exercise
- Personal Training Specialist – CanFitPro
- Fitness Instructor Specialist – CanFitPro
- AFLCA Group Exercise Leader
- Certified Fitness Instructor – Les Mills International
- Certified Ashtanga Yoga Instructor
- Personal Fitness Trainer Program Diploma – NAIT
LEAD INSTRUCTOR (Calgary)
Rickey-Lee has been in the personal training industry for 7 years. She owns her own personal training business, DeVries Fitness, and has had the opportunity to work in large chain gyms and private studios. Born and raised in Calgary, she has been heavily involved in athletics since a young age, she currently plays Ringette and loves to be as active as possible. She is very passionate about helping others to achieve their goals and empowering them to do so.
- Personal Trainer Certificate – Mount Royal University
- Business Administration Marketing Diploma – SAIT Polytechnic
- NeuroKinetic Therapy Levels 1-3
- Emergency Medical Responder (ACP Registered)
- Standard First Aid CPR C, AED, and HCP – Canadian Red Cross
- Fascial Stretch Therapy Essentials (FSTE) – Darby Training Systems
- Assessment and Exercise (AE) Course – Darby Training Systems
- Program Design Course (DTS-PD) – Darby Training Systems
- Advanced Strength Training Course (DTS-AST)
- Functional Muscular Assessment & Graduated Exercise Methods – CanFitPro
Jarred has been involved in the fitness industry for over 13 years. Playing every sport available to him when he was growing up led him to focus his education on human performance. He has been involved in every aspect of the fitness industry, from strength and conditioning to management and even life coaching. Education and continuous improvement is something Jarred is very passionate about and is currently working on a Masters degree in Strength and Conditioning. Jarred likes to focus on the application of all the theories that are taught in the Personal Fitness Trainer Diploma program to help students successfully enter the industry.
- Bachelor of Kinesiology, University of Alberta
- MSc Strength and Conditioning (in progress), St Mary’s University, Twickenham, London, UK
- NSCA – CSS
- ACE – CPT
Curtis is an award-winning trainer, manager and lifter, with a Bachelor of Education majoring in Physical Education from the University of Alberta. He is the Regional Fitness Director at World Health and Directs the World Health Continuing Education program. He has over 10 years’ experience working as a professional personal trainer and holds the Alberta Provincial record for the Snatch in the 77kg category. Curtis shares his practical knowledge of movement development and personal training at ELA, covering all topics from rehabilitation to specialized performance. He empowers students to become successful personal trainers that are capable of positively impacting the people they work with.
- Bachelor of Education (Major: Physical Education)
- USA Weightlifting (Level 1)
- NCCP (Level 1)
- Olympic Lifting
- Agatsu Kettlebell
- MMA Bootcamp & Upper Body Mobility
- PTA Global Medical Exercise Specialist – Post rehabilitation
- Ido Portal Movement X
- Dream Team Coaching (Weightlifting Coaches)
- Fascial Stretch Therapy Essentials
- Life Coaching (Level 1 & 2)
Jeff has been committed to personal training and strength and conditioning since 2006. His main emphasis being in the skill development of human movement and resistance training for health and performance. He is a freelance trainer and coach and serves as the Performance Director at Urban Athlete Calgary. He has also been serving as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for University of Calgary’s Men Baseball program since 2012.
- Bachelor of Arts Community Studies – Cape Breton University 2006
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Coach – NSCA
- Certified Personal Trainer – PTA Global