Our educators are versatile in their backgrounds and teaching styles. Also, in addition to our regular instructors, many guest speakers from the fitness, health and business industries facilitate specialty topics in our classrooms.
eXECUTIVE Director & Instructor (Business & Life Skills)
Julie’s background is in business, facilitation, and financial literacy. She is passionate about merging the gap between academics and the business world where that learning is to eventually be utilized. Her goal is to develop a platform that will not only provide education in an engaging and accessible way but also for that education to meet the demands of employers and the industry as a whole.
In 2006, Julie completed a SFU Bachelor degree in Business Administration with a focus on Human Resources. She has also been a facilitator of Financial Literacy and is a thriving entrepreneur. It is her goal to ensure that ELA’s students graduate not only with a quality education but are also well on their way to launching their careers.
- SFU Bachelor of Business Administration – Human Resources
- MRU Adult Educator Certificate of Completion
OPERATIONS COORDINATOR AND ADMINISTRATOR, CALGARY
Amy graduated in June 2013 from Thompson Rivers University with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and Sociology. She moved to Calgary in January 2014 from Kamloops, BC. While not having specific fitness education, she’s been involved in sports for a good majority of her life and loves to be outdoors! When not spending time with her friends and family, she loves to run and watch movies. Amy has an extensive background of working in customer service and is excited to support Elevated Learning Academy’s current, past and potential students.
- TRU Bachelor of Arts – Psychology and Sociology.
STUDENT AND INDUSTRY RELATIONS COORDINATOR, CALGARY
Sabrina graduated from McMaster University with a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology with a Business minor. She moved to Calgary from Bermuda in January 2013 when she decided to pursue her passion for health and wellness and leave her reinsurance career behind.
Sabrina is the co-founder of BeneEsse wellness solutions. She has managed her own fitness studio, ran a yoga and fitness retreat in Nicaragua, and now continues to teach yoga in the community. She loves to enjoy food and wine with friends, long walks with her dog, and an upbeat sweaty spin class! Sabrina has a built a solid network in the health and wellness industry is excited to support Elevated Learning Academy’s current, past and potential students along their journey.
- B.A (Hons) Sociology
- CPT, ISSA & CanFitPro
- Registered Yoga Instructor, Vinyasa
- Health Coach, Institute of Integrative Nutrition
OPERATIONS MANAGER (EDMONTON & CALGARY)
Azal is a huge movie-lover and our resident film buff at ELA. This passion for cinema from a very early age fuelled the need to grow his knowledge in videography and directing. Thus, he utilized his unique talent and skills to develop ELA’s comprehensive video-lectures for the Applied Nutrition Science diploma and continues to make short films on the weekend.
In conjunction with leading several on-going media projects throughout the year for ELA, Azal is also equipped with a Bachelor of Commerce degree attained in 2013 from Grant MacEwan University.With his major being in Organizational Management, he possesses the necessary skill set to effectively function as our Operations Manager for both Edmonton and Calgary campuses.
Azal can also be found on the web via his Twitter (@AzalAbedi) or Facebook building connections with people discussing OR working in his fields of film, art, technology and business.
- Bachelor of Commerce – Grant MacEwan University
Student and industry relations coordinator, EDMONTON
Kari graduated in 2012 from Medicine Hat College with a Marketing Diploma. She is originally from Medicine Hat and moved to Edmonton in 2014 after living in Australia and exploring Southeast Asia. Kari leads an active lifestyle and loves spending time and exercising outdoors whenever possible. In her spare time, Kari enjoys cooking, traveling, reading and going to concerts. Kari has over 10 years of experience working in customer service, including radio advertising sales and promotion, and working in the service industry. She is excited to be part of Elevated Learning Academy where she helps students develop their passion and prepare for their future in the fitness and nutrition industry.
- Marketing Diploma – Medicine Hat College
Frederick’s background is in small business operations and development. He is interested in analyzing businesses to determine where there are opportunities to introduce innovative technologies, to improve internal processes and procedures.
In 2017, Frederick completed a Bachelor of Commerce with a focus on Business Process Management. He has over 4 years of experience in business development and over 10 years in customer service. He is passionate about international development and poverty alleviation, and volunteers with the Fig Tree Foundation as a Roundtable Liaison.
- UofC Bachelor of Commerce – Business Process Management (OSCM/BTMA)
Rachel Joy Olsen
LEAD INSTRUCTOR (Calgary)
Rachel has a passion for helping people gain better health and wellness and has worked in the health and fitness industry for over 15 years as a kinesiologist, Personal Trainer, exercise and weight management specialist, spin instructor, health coach, chronic disease management specialist and nutrition practitioner. Along with her fitness and health coaching practice Rachel is pursing her love of writing and has released three books, with more to come, to help readers achieve optimal health and wellness. Rachel believes that taking care of and developing a healthy relationship between the mind, body and soul is the key to health and happiness.
- Master’s in Business Administration, University of Phoenix
- Bachelor of Science, Major: Mind Sciences in Kinesiology, University of Calgary
- Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Weight Management Specialist (ACE)
- Exercise is Medicine® Credential Level III, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Personal Trainer Certification, American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- Holistic Life Coach, Spencer Institute
- Health Care Provider CPR & AED Certification, Rescue 7
- Raw Food Chef, Raw Food Network
- Raw Food Nutrition Specialist, Raw Food Network
- Raw Food Personal Trainer, Raw Food Network
- Raw Food Lifestyle Coach, Raw Food Network
Lead Instructor (Edmonton)
Chris Dewhirst has been in the personal training industry for over 3 years. Growing up he was very heavily involved in athletics and continued into his college days. During his college experience, Chris grew very passionate about learning how the body works and how to help improve its performance. In his last year of completing his Physical Education Degree, Chris started personal training and has been doing so ever since. Shortly after his degree, he obtained his CSCS through the NSCA and is always investing time in continuing his education.
- BPE, University of Alberta
Tania has worked in the health and fitness industry for over 15 years as a Personal Trainer, Educator, Manager, and a Group Exercise Instructor. Her path now has her working with a number of different Exercise and Chronic Condition Research Trials, including trials studying the impact of exercise on Type One and Type Two Diabetes, Breast Cancer and Colon Cancer. She is extremely excited to be working in the field of Personal Training as she truly believes that exercise and healthy living are the foundations of disease prevention and health management.Tania believes that challenging self-imposed limitations and stepping out of one’s comfort zone is the key to learning, growth and development; and that most of all, having fun is the key to committing to exercise over a lifetime.
- Bachelor of Arts – Psychology; Concentration in Motivational Studies
- Fitness and Nutrition Program Diploma
- Personal Trainer Certification – American Council on Exercise
- Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification – American Council on Exercise
- Personal Training Specialist – CanFitPro
- Fitness Instructor Specialist – CanFitPro
- AFLCA Group Exercise Leader
- Certified Fitness Instructor – Les Mills International
- Certified Ashtanga Yoga Instructor
- Personal Fitness Trainer Program Diploma – NAIT
Gillian is a holistic nutrition practitioner and kinesiologist who has been living health and fitness her whole life. She took up personal training upon the completion of her Bachelor of Science from the University of Alberta in 2006 and added her RHN holistic nutrition diploma a few years later for the purpose of taking her clients to a different level of wellness.
Gill is a triathlete and is a dedicated lifelong student of sport, fitness and nutrition as she has seen the transformation and potential it has on improving the quality of life.
- U of A Bachelor of Science major Kinesiology and Sport Studies
- CSNN RHN holistic nutrition
- ACE Certified Personal Trainer
- Can-Fit-Pro Personal Trainer Specialist
- AFLCA/YMCA Advanced Individual Conditioning Level 3
Angela has been in the fitness industry since 1992. She has worked in public, corporate, and not-for-profit fitness facilities. She currently owns and teaches at her fitness studio in Langdon, AB.
Angela has a passion for teaching fitness and wellness to her exercise participants as well as to those who are pursuing their own career in the fitness industry. She incorporates a variety of teaching styles to ensure that all learners will get the most out of her classes/courses.
What Angela loves most about teaching adult learners is that the love to have fun and that they bring their own knowledge to the table so everyone can learn from each other.
- Bachelor of Physical Education from the University of Alberta
- CSEP – Certified Exercise Physiologist
- Owner – Get FIT in Langdon
- AFLCA Trainer of leaders for: Resistance Training, Fitness for the Older Adult, Group Exercise and Ever Active Kids
- Canfitpro Protrainer of leaders for: Personal Training Specialists, Older Adult Specialists, Fitness Instructor Specialists and Nutrition and Wellness Specialists
- Red Cross First Aid Instructor
- Certified Weight Management Consultant
- Family Passages Pre & Post Natal Certification – Part 1
- TRX Group Exercise Certificates
- ACE Personal Trainer Certification
Caitlin has been working in the fitness industry for over 3 years. She has trained athletes in both high performance and rehabilitation settings, owns her own personal training business, Kinner Strength, and works at The Steadward Centre for Personal and Physical Achievement at the University of Alberta. Caitlin is particularly interested in exercise physiology and chronic disease management and is working towards the CSEP – Certified Exercise Physiologist Designation.
Growing up, Caitlin participated in many different sports including swimming, alpine skiing, and baseball. It wasn’t until University that she discovered a personal passion for endurance running and has since completed many half marathons. She hopes to complete her first full marathon this spring.
- MSc. Sports and Exercise Science – University of New Brunswick
- BSc. Honors Specialization in Kinesiology – York University
Jarred has been involved in the fitness industry for over 13 years. Playing every sport available to him when he was growing up led him to focus his education on human performance. He has been involved in every aspect of the fitness industry, from strength and conditioning to management and even life coaching. Education and continuous improvement is something Jarred is very passionate about and is currently working on a Masters degree in Strength and Conditioning. Jarred likes to focus on the application of all the theories that are taught in the Personal Fitness Trainer Diploma program to help students successfully enter the industry.
- Bachelor of Kinesiology, University of Alberta
- MSc Strength and Conditioning (in progress), St Mary’s University, Twickenham, London, UK
- NSCA – CSS
- ACE – CPT
Curtis is an award-winning trainer, manager and lifter, with a Bachelor of Education majoring in Physical Education from the University of Alberta. He is the Regional Fitness Director at World Health and Directs the World Health Continuing Education program. He has over 10 years’ experience working as a professional personal trainer and holds the Alberta Provincial record for the Snatch in the 77kg category. Curtis shares his practical knowledge of movement development and personal training at ELA, covering all topics from rehabilitation to specialized performance. He empowers students to become successful personal trainers that are capable of positively impacting the people they work with.
- Bachelor of Education (Major: Physical Education)
- USA Weightlifting (Level 1)
- NCCP (Level 1)
- Olympic Lifting
- Agatsu Kettlebell
- MMA Bootcamp & Upper Body Mobility
- PTA Global Medical Exercise Specialist – Post rehabilitation
- Ido Portal Movement X
- Dream Team Coaching (Weightlifting Coaches)
- Fascial Stretch Therapy Essentials
- Life Coaching (Level 1 & 2)
Jeff has been committed to personal training and strength and conditioning since 2006. His main emphasis being in the skill development of human movement and resistance training for health and performance. He is a freelance trainer and coach and serves as the Performance Director at Urban Athlete Calgary. He has also been serving as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for University of Calgary’s Men Baseball program since 2012.
- Bachelor of Arts Community Studies – Cape Breton University 2006
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Coach – NSCA
- Certified Personal Trainer – PTA Global